Hi Ronni and Eugene
I just found this:
" In order to find the corrupted files ("Disk Verify" in Disk Utility did
not detect the corrupted files) go to the CONSOLE program, them click
"system.log". In the finder box for Console, type "backupd" to narrow the
log to messages associated with backup. Look for references to files
associated with ERROR (-36) after you attept to run the back up. Then delete
those files and restart the backup from where it left off. If it halts
again, go back to the system.log and see if you can pick up any additional
corrupted files and delete them. I found several iPhoto files, as well as
iTunes files I had downloaded which were causing the Time Capsule to abort
backing up. (it was not reassuring that photos would be corrupted like this,
but oh well.) I also ended up deleting the enormous SYSTEM ARCHIVE file from
my old OS before I upgraded to Leopard, because this also seemed like a
problem. "

Looking into Console I found my backup may have been choking on a faulty
file which was identified with the error -36 code.
Have deleted that file and will try again.
Ta
Rod

on 21/12/08 2:41 PM, Ronda Brown at ro...@wn.com.au wrote:

> On 21/12/2008, at 2:27 PM, Rod Blitvich wrote:
>
>> Hi WAMUGers
>> For several weeks I have been unable to perform a Time Machine
>> backup. It
>> starts off and then later I discover it has been unable to backup. I
>> get
>> error messages such as
>> "there was an error copying"
>>
>> "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to
>> the
>> backup volume."
>>
>> I have removed the old backup and started again - with no success.
>> I have used Disk Utility to repair the backup drive - it says no
>> problems.
>>
>> 10.5.6
>> Backing up to an external Firewire 1TB drive.
>>
>> Please does anyone have any ideas?
>> Ta
>> Rod
>
> Hi Rod,
>
> It could be choking on a file.
>
> The Time Machine menu bar extra (the reverse-arrow sync icon) will
> have a black triangle exclamation mark in it.
> The extra's drop-down menu will have "Latest Backup: FailedŠ" in the
> top line.
> Selecting that menu item takes the user to the System Prefs pane for
> Time Machine which then shows an "info" button in red next to the word
> "Failed" (also in red).
>
> Clicking on the red "i" brings up a drop-down sheet declaring the
> following:
>
> "Time Machine Error
>
> Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to
> the backup volume."
>
> To ascertain which is the offending file, one could use the Console ->
> All Messages option.
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni

Rod Blitvich  - Amy & Sam¹s Dad