On 05/01/2009, at 8:41 AM, James Devenish wrote:

Hi David,

I wonder what you mean that Mac servers can't do multiple client
logins. Before commenting definitely, I'd need to know the technical
specifics of your problem, but unless there is a language barrier
here, the Server version of Mac OS X specifically does what you say
and has done so for many years.

It think he is referring to Windows Terminal Services, or Citrix. The problem is that Genie (and any other 4D add) is dog when used over a basic WAN connection. To get around this, most places put in a Terminal Server so that the app runs locally on the LAN and only the screen and keyboard/mouse updates get shunted over the WAN. This makes things a LOT faster.

The problem is that Apple has steadfastly refused to create any form of Terminal server for OSX. There is a third party one, but it is no where near as fast.

Strangely enough, Windows Server 2008 is one of the few products that Microsoft have gotten right lately.

- Matt