Hm Ph: (08) 9257 1577
Wk Ph: (08) 9291 4599
Mbl: 0417 053 266

On 13/01/2009, at 2:50 AM, Steven Knowles wrote:

In case anyone's interested, Dropbox looks like a nice idea with some MobileMe similarities, but a couple of weaknesses.

* If you share a folder, it has to be all or nothing, in other words people who you share your folder with can not only access files within, but amend them and change them. So no permission structure as yet.

* If you share a folder with person A, person A can then go and share it with person B, C and D.

I couldn't see anyway of preventing against these things, but apparently enhancements are in the works.

Cheers, Steven

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steven <emai...@knowles.net.au>
Date: 12 January 2009 6:14:53 PM
Subject: Re: How to allow access to a specific folder by a remote user

Looks interesting Glenn - downloading now. Thanks! Glad I asked. Could have many other uses than just the problem at hand.

On 12/01/2009, at 4:58 PM, Glenn Nicholas wrote:

getdropbox.com

2009/1/12 Steven Knowles <emai...@knowles.net.au>

I'm sure this is straightforward, but I haven't done this before, and with time not on my side at the moment would love to avoid a few hours worth of frustration.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.6.

I currently have a MacBook Pro on which a folder sits, and other Macs access this folder over the same wireless network. So I have that bit nutted out. At least I think I do because it seems to work okay. I have File Sharing switched on, and for the folder in question is marked as a shared folder.

I now want to allow a remote user access to this same folder (but no other folders). This remote user is not on the same wireless network, but does have internet access. What do I need to turn on or check at my end, and what does the remote user do to access the folder on my MacBook Pro (also running 10.5.6 on an iMac)? Is it a separate application that must be launched on the iMac? Or can it be done via a web browser?

Cheers, Steven