Thanks Ronni, a complete answer as usual :)
I'm trying to install via an external DVD drive, I'll let u all know the result,
Mike

Ronda Brown wrote:

On 16/01/2009, at 11:24 PM, Michael bradley wrote:

Hi Guys,
I tried to upgrade my 900Mhz Dual USB ibook, from Tiger to Leopard....I pushed install, it restarted, then it just sat there spinning the flower...for what seemed 10 minutes and did nothing...I had to hold down the power button to crash out.

It started again fine , back into Tiger,( with the disk out).

My question is...is it just too old/ slow to do the upgrade?
should I try a clean install?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Hi Michael,

Leopard requires an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 processor, or a PowerPC G4 running at 867 MHz or faster. (G3-based Macs and slower G4 models can therefore run Tiger but not Leopard.)

Almost all versions of the iBook G4, first introduced in October 2003, can run Leopard; the sole exception is the 800 MHz model.
Earlier G3-based iBook models can’t run Leopard.