I agree with Mike.

Lasers use heat to print directly to an object. No disk will accept direct printing from a laser printer. Printing on labels is always dodgy as they can peel back and need a stomper to get them centred and balanced correctly.

Ink-jets are cheap and most that are made for printing on a disk can print on disks that has a white surface. These discs are now quite common.

Some external Mac friendly DVD burners such as Lacie are able to burn using light scribe media. These will burn the DVD and then scribe an image or text in mono chrome on the light scribe surface. Perhaps this is what you are referring to Stuart? Light scribe DVD disks are only a little more pricey than normal DVDs.

                     Regards,
                     Eugene