Hello People,

The proximity sensor prevents you from accidentally interacting with the screen while the iPhone is pressed against your ear, it switches off the display at about 0.75-inches away; the screen switches back on after you pull away about an inch.

I had sent an email to Adam Lippiatt off list as I was no longer subscribed to WAMUG Mailing List.
I asked him:

"Are you using a case that may be partially blocking or blocking the iPhone's proximity sensor?

If you are using a case, remove the case to see if the same occurs without the case.

If the same does not occur without using the case, you need to consider using a different case that is specifically designed to not block the iPhone's proximity sensor."

Since then, Adam has replied to my email saying that yes, he is using a case and that he had taken the case off the iPhone when he left it at the service people & they could not replicate the problem. He will now check whether it is his case causing the problem and let us know.

Re: iPhone Problems - Unresponsive Screen During and Immediately After Calls
James / Hans Kunz
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:13:04 -0800

proximity sensor is to recognize if the phone is upright - laying flat on table, hor or vert position, basically it can "see" if you hold & in which way you hold the phone.....
cheers James