As per Ronnie's suggestion we've been playing with Numbers O8 and with great
timing Peter's subsequent note provided the answer why we couldn't figure out
how to lock off column names.  We've just downloaded the Bento trial Peter.
From what I've read Bento seems to be machine specific.  I gather that if my
wife had a laptop or some other portable device it would not be able to talk
data to the Bento app on our iMac. Is that correct? (iPhone apparently excepted)

Paul :)