On 11/03/2009, at 1:51 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hello WAMUGer's,

I gave a person permission to download a 373.4 MB disk image (.dmg) from my iDisk Public Folder. As he started the download he saw it was going to take over two hours, so he tried to stop the download, (how I have no idea).
Eventually he ended up with a 15MB size file on his Desktop.
This incomplete file shows as a white page, which he cannot open or move to the Trash, he receives this message when attempting to move it:

" Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving item can cause problems with the application using them "

He says he definitely ejected my Public iDisk when he had finished copying to his desktop by my instructions
File -> Eject 'ronni-public'

I know there are Terminal commands that could be typed to trash this file .... but. There is absolutely NO WAY I want this guy going anywhere near Terminal ... Heaven Forbid! He is a very basic Mac user, doesn't follow instructions well (even with screenshots I include with my instructions), and can stuff up anything and I mean really "Stuff Up" anything!

I remember using this in Jaguar days I think it was. Do you think it is worth a try in Leopard 10.5.6?

1. Rename the file to "remove.rtf" (without the quotation marks)
2. Open TextEdit (/Applications/TextEdit)
3. From the File menu, choose Save As
4. Select the location where the file is located
5. Type: "remove" in the Save As field (it should be showing this)
6. Click Save, then Replace
7. Quit TextEdit
8. Drag remove.rtf to the Trash
9. Empty the Trash

Or do you have other suggestions that I could get him to do please?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

He needs to clear ( stop ) the other application .... this sometimes can be done
simply by restarting finder

failing that ,   a restart may do it

HTH's

Bob