Putty is an emulator for Unix commands - e.g  ssh, telnet and rlogin.

ssh runs native from 'Terminal', or you may find it easier to use a
GUI such as Fugu: http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

Terminal isn't really an application, it just provides access to
underlying Unix based commands in the operating system (OS X is
Apple's operating system derived originally from Unix, hence the X).
Note ssh is widely used in the Unix/Linux world. telnet and rlogin are
hidden by default in OS X because of security issues.

Glenn.