On 31/03/2009, at 3:28 PM, Diana & Graham Stevens wrote:

Graham's iMac [PowerPC G5(3.0), 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM running 10.3.9] has become extremely slow.

All applications run slowly and collecting email or using the Internet is so slow as to be useless. The connection is OK because my G5 still works well.

I repaired permissions but that has not helped.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong/how to fix it?

Hello Diana,

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? 10/15% is the least amount you should have free.

Are there are any applications that hog the CPU?

Have you emptied the caches?
Download Onyx for Panther here <http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_panther.html > & use it to empty the caches.

Using whatsize will also give you an idea of the size of your various applications, perhaps there are some you don't need that removing would speed things up for you.
You can download WhatSize for Panther here:
<http://download.cnet.com/WhatSize/3000-2094_4-10945323.html>