Afternoon,

Visit Virgin mobile, they utilise Optus infrastructure, but at time I got iPhone it was the best deal for data and calls. Not totally sure now as it has been awhile and a lot of water has passed under the bridge of all providers.
http://www.virginmobile.com.au/
Also if friends or family are with virgin then calls and text to them are free.

plan I use is the V CAP $70, this has $520 of monthly credit and 1gb of Data.

I have never exceeded this, but I utilise my WiFi connections at home and on road or office where possible. Also most of my family and friends are with Virgin so as you can see I do not have much to be removed form monthly credit. As for Data again I have always been lower than 300mb and most I have utilised would be 615mb on recent interstate trip. But, these days it is very easy to find a WiFi spot within hotels, shopping centres, airports, even iiNet has some partnership going, and McDonalds even though I do not eat food coffee not to bad.

Only issue I have is with the mail client and smtp which has to utilise Optus to send whilst not in vicinity of WiFi in office or home although have found solution by using gmail (google) also some old iiNet push server settings.

As for repairs if needed this is provided via Apple authorised repair centres through a simple phone call to Virgin support. Although I would recommend collecting there iPhone specific number as this is the one area Virgin are very bad, getting support from a human via phone. So, use a landline and one with handsfree as it will be a while.

Cheers!
`RobD...