On 20/05/2009, at 2:53 PM, Toby Oldham wrote:

Hey all - some more external drive experiences/thoughts:

- Cheap unknown-ish Firewire cases have given me grief in the past; if you're serious about what you want to do, really think about the 'you get what you pay for' cliché.

- Restoring my 250Gig Operating System (and files) to an Intel iMac from a Time Machine designated backup drive (in this case a Seagate Free Agent 'Desk') via USB 2.0 took about 12 hours. The same process on a good Firewire 400 drive took about 1 hour. I think that USB 2.0 is fine to use for backups, provided you're not in any hurry to get back up and running after a total system meltdown.

It's worth noting that the total time can balloon out considerably if a single error message pops up during the process; say if a text file doesn't like being copied. Then 12 hours becomes a couple of days and some disrupted sleep, as opposed to 2 hours.

- The Seagate FreeAgent external drive I use goes to sleep when my iMac goes to sleep and wakes when the iMac wakes. It even shuts down (I think, or goes back to sleep at least) when the iMac shuts down. Using it with Apple's Time Machine software effectively makes it invisible to me, which is awesome. I have a friend with a firewire notebook drive that doesn't turn off when his iMac goes to sleep (or when it shuts down), which means he has to plug and unplug it all the time. Not so awesome.

He uses it as a storage device for video editing though, so he puts up with it for the sustained fast-transfer speeds.

Anyone know if the new(ish) LaCie Network drives are any good? I'm looking at:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11089

... At the moment. I know LaCie had some pretty bad failure rates back in 2007.

Cheers,
T.

The American Power supplies are causing plenty of grief . I don't know whther the Australian ones are the same !

You should read all of this link before you buy lacie

<http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/harddrives/>

Bob