Hi Laura, I know what you mean about trying to create albums in iphoto, but can't see that Picasa (which I use as a quick and dirty way of organising and viewing photos after importing them into Adobe bridge) makes albums, etc. directly.

Snapfish have a range of products and allow you upload your photos, so it might be worthwhile trying them to see if its better than doing this in iphoto. You won't need Picasa to access Snapfish, of course.

http://www.snapfish.com.au/photobook

Susan.