Hi Chris,

Re: you not receiving WAMUG emails, have you checked that your ISP is not blocking any emails?

Re: The External USB Harddrives. In Disk Utility, what format it is already formatted to?
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility ...

Are you wanting to use the external drive on Windows, or with Time Machine, or just on your Mac?
For Windows, you would need to format it MS-DOS (FAT)
For Time Machine & Mac Computers you need to Format Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) & Partition
GUID Partition Table or Apple Partition Map.
(GUID for Intel Macs or any Mac running 10.4 or later or Apple Partition Map for PowerPC Macs running any version of Mac OS X)