Hi Neil

Thank you for taking the time to explain all about scanning as .tiff rather than .jpg. I learned a lot from what you wrote and have kept your email for future reference.

As it turned out Ronni was able, as she so often is, to pin point the problem. Familiar with the Epson scanner I am using, her suggestion to uncheck the option "Embed ICC Profile" immediately solved my dilemma. I can now scan B&W photos as .jpg directly into iPhoto. Perhaps, given your information, not as high quality as they might otherwise be, but for the time being they are adequate for my needs.

I might add I have no idea what "embed ICC Profile" means!!!

Thanks again

Kind regards
Laura