Hi Laura,

Re ICC profiles, Wikipedia says:

> In color management, an ICC profile is a set of data that characterizes a
> color input or output device, or a color space, according to standards
> promulgated by the International Color Consortium (ICC). Profiles describe the
> color attributes of a particular device or viewing requirement by defining a
> mapping between the device source or target color space and a profile
> connection space (PCS).

More here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icc_profile>

Basically all your inputs, outputs and monitors have different colour
characteristics and the profiles are used to try and maintain consistent
results when working with images (you had similar considerations with film
cameras and different film types and photo paper types).

Say you start with an object - it has a certain colour. Now you photograph
it. With a digital camera you get a file of electronic info, since different
cameras have different lenses, sensors and adjustment algorithms the actual
files produced will vary from camera to camera. Similarly with scanning,
different scanners have different characteristics.

Then you want to edit the image on your computer - you are doing this by
looking at a representation of the image on your monitor and different
monitors have very different characteristics.

Then you need to print it and again different printers/different
characteristics.

The profiles are used to try and compensate for the different
characteristics of all these devices - so that when you are looking at your
monitor you hopefully see a good representation of the original object which
you can then print as a good representative image.

The above is an over simplification of a very complex area (and I am
certainly no expert!) - there are many books, references and courses
covering the area in varying levels of detail (depending how masochistic you
are).

This page <http://www.color.org/profile_embedding.xalter> tells you a bit
about embedding the ICC profiles in image file formats.

In your case however it seems embedding the profile was causing iPhoto
problems but luckily Ronni was able to see through all the techno-murk and
solve your problem :)

Cheers

Neil
--