On 19/06/2009, at 10:05 AM, Severin Crisp wrote:

My wife's trusty G3 iMac exhibits a minor quirk. On occasion the power button does nothing and the machine will not switch on. This happens in two circumstances, either at a normal switch on or at a restart after doing an installation when it shuts down and will not restart. In either situation the cure is to unplug the power cord from the back of the case and plug it back in again - and then the button functions as it should. The power cable is a good snug positive fit and visually I see no reason to suspect a bad contact. I suspect it is something to do with the power management unit, I assume the G3 iMac has one of these. This is only an occasional fault and easily fixed but is annoying and I would like to know the explanation. I realise that one response may be that I buy my wife a nice new computer!
Severin Crisp

Severin

Unfortunately a new computer will probably not be so trustworthy !

Have you tried the Zap Pram technique ,
and how old is the internal battery .

Had a funny like that recently with a G5 and actually had to reset the time
manually before I could get things back to normal !

It actually would not connect to the net until the time was current .

I have the time locked in on overseas time server so I do not normally see if time has dropped out after the power has been off . I have to guess the G5 battery has seen it's best days .

Have fun

Bob