Hi Severin

Does the time also revert to 1907, or 1940 or something like that? If so,
then I wouldn't be surprised if it's the little internal battery. If it
hasn't been replace for a while (3-5 years) then that can do strange things
to do with startup as well.
That's normally one of the easiest things to replace to test,..and the
cheapest. :o) (Well one of the cheapest).

Depending if it's a slot load or a tray load, you can refine the google
search for "changing battery in an iMac G3" to "changing battery in an iMac
G3 slot/tray load" depending on which it is :o)
<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=changing+battery+in+
iMac+G3&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 19/6/09 10:22 AM, "Ronda Brown" <ro...@wn.com.au> wrote:

> On 19/06/2009, at 10:05 AM, Severin Crisp wrote:
>
>> My wife's trusty G3 iMac exhibits a minor quirk.  On occasion the
>> power button does nothing and the machine will not switch on.  This
>> happens in two circumstances, either at a normal switch on or at a
>> restart after doing an installation when it shuts down and will not
>> restart.  In either situation the cure is to unplug the power cord
>> from the back of the case and plug it back in again - and then the
>> button functions as it should.  The power cable is a good snug
>> positive fit and visually I see no reason to suspect a bad contact.
>> I suspect it is something to do with the power management unit, I
>> assume the G3 iMac has one of these.
>> This is only an occasional fault and easily fixed but is annoying
>> and I would like to know the explanation.
>> I realise that one response may be that I buy my wife a nice new
>> computer!
>> Severin Crisp
>

> Hi Severin,
>
> Buy your wife a new computer ;-)
> But then the old iMac's are great, I have one sitting in my computer
> room, I can't bear getting rid of it.
>
> Seriously though ... it could be the PMU
> It's a little button that you have to press with a blunt object
> (pencil). If you are unsure where it is & how to reset the PMU, have a
> look at this:
> <http://mrjcd.com/junk/PMU.jpg>
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni