On 23/06/2009, at 10:02 AM, Martin Hill wrote:

As far as battery life is concerned if you want to use "Find My iPhone" you have to turn on Push which is unfortunate. I can go 2 days with Push off, but flick that little switch and I'm lucky if the battery lasts a day.

I've calmed down a bit since the weekend, and the reality of daily use has hit. Nevertheless, it's definitely my impression that battery performance has certainly changed for the better, and I have Push turned on all the time.

As far as other features are concerned, I am loving copy and paste, the ability to invite others to calendar appointments (we run Exchange at work) and internet tethering is excellent (only 1.6Mbps with Optus, but still far better than the 40kbps GPRS tethering I used to use with my old smartphone).

Speaking of copy and paste, one of its most effective applications can be seen in the Notes application. If you've made a note of someone's name, phone number, a casual URL or a street address, Notes underlines it and makes it "live". If you tap and hold on the underlined text a contextual menu appears: if the text is a phone number, you are give the chance to dial the number, create a contact from it or add it to a contact; if it's a street address, it offers to take you to that address in Maps, and so on. Very elegant, very simple.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913