Hi Muggers

Did the update (one week old 3GS) and got stuck in recovery mode for some time (see Good news below).

Followed all the instructions  at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

RE Update and restore alert messages on iPhone and iPod touch

including

Restore using a new user account

Restore on a different computer

Remove and reinstall iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Support

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747

GOOD NEWS

saw this thread "Topic : Help! Did 3.0.1 update now 3GS will not boot"

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9916745&tstart=0

And a post

This is another method to get your iphone out of the recovery mode.. good luck! worked for me after getting stuck on the 3.0.1 upgrade

http://ipitg.net/how-to-kick-iphone-out-of-recovery-mode-mac/

I had to install libusb to get this to work.. just read the comments if it doesn't initially work for you

With fear and trepidation I reluctantly followed the instructions on the dubious link and am very very happy to report that I am back up and running with no loss of settings or data.

NOTES

I too had to install libusb as well as iRecovery.

http://ipitg.net/ifiles/iRecovery.zip

http://ipitg.net/ifiles/libusb.pkg.tar.gz

Summary

How to Kick iPhone out of Recovery Mode (Mac)

The Process:

   1. Download iRecovery.
   2. Install iRecovery.
   3. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
   4. Run this command: "iRecovery -s"
   5. Type: "printenv"
6. Look for this variable in the list: "auto-boot". Most likely, yours will be set to false (hence your problem). 7. If "auto-boot" is set to "false" or isn't present at all, follow the rest of this guide. If it's set to true, try restarting your iPhone/iTouch by holding home and power for 10 seconds.
   8. Type this: "setenv auto-boot true".
   9. Type: "saveenv".
  10. Type: "reboot".

PS

Had just started yesterday to review backup procedures apart from iTunes and was interested in the apps available including PhoneView (http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/ ). Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Regards
AB

Email: abign...@inbox.com