Hi again Severin,

On 07/08/2009, at 2:06 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hi Severin,

Have you tried to boot up in safe mode (hold down shift key at boot). At the login screen click restart and see if the computer restarts normally?

If you can get it to boot up, you might need to get rid of any of the 10.5.8 install and then download the "Combo" update and try again. But first check (if you can get it to boot) that the 10.5.8 install hasn't fully completed ... look under Apple > About this Mac & if it has 'Version 10.5.8' click on it & see if it has Build 9L30.

I forgot to type if you can boot up & if above shows Version 10.5.8 & is Build 9L30 , DON'T do the steps below.

1. In Finder - from the "GO" Menu choose "Go To Folder"
2. Type: /Library/Updates
3. Click GO. The /Library/Updates folder will open
4. Select all contents of this folder and move them to the Trash.

Once the above steps are complete, download the Combo Update and install again.
Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update:
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1058comboupdate.html >

This Update takes a long time to install, my Combo Update took 22mins.

The Repair Permissions took 22mins the actual update install took about 15-20mins to complete.

The 10.5.8 Combo update seemed to hang at the 'one minute to go' mark and during the 'running installer script' scenario as well - this one for quite a while.
I knew I had to wait & wait, and it finally finished.
I think I remember there was a double restart as well.

Oh, and don't forget to "Repair Permissions" after the install.