Hi Pedro,

aeroplane mode shuts down the GPS. See discussion here:

<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1788268>

I used my iPhone as a GPS for navigating in Melbourne every day for a week. I only have a 5Mb free allowance with my plan and used only a very small part of it.

My guess is the iPhone does use telephone towers to initially determine its position by triangulation as it is fairly quick but not accurate.

Once the satellites are located, they kick in and are much more accurate.

                     Regards,
                     Eugene