On 15/9/09 8:32 AM, "David de la Hunty" <da...@visionary.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> I'm in the curious situation of having two iBooks fail in very similar
> circumstances ie failing to boot.
>
> Short version of story is that after a fiddle with install, reinstall,
> target disc mode etc have established that both have intact and
> permission-repaired HDDs and now have fresh copies of 10.4 loaded up.
>
> Laptop 1 now has come to life but trackpad and button are
> nonfunctional. System Profiler says the trackpad is there and gives
> its specs. The OS however seems to think it is not and tells me when I
> go to Help, that the trackpad button in the "Keyboard/Mouse" window of
> System Pofiler, is not present because "this computer does not have a
> trackpad installed"
>
> So the question is:
>
> anyone with experience on the Unix terminal know of a way to prod the
> OS into recognizing the trackpad hardware? Or how to formally test it?
> I have gone to the temple of Google but came away empty handed
> Thanx
> DD

Hi David

Did you use a generic OS install, or the iBook disc?
I only ask as I had something similar happen with an iBook G4 a few years
back and one of the "drivers" for the trackpad wasn't getting installed from
a generic OS disc. I had to go back to the original iBook install CD,
install that then "upgrade" to the latest OS for it to work.
(Or perhaps I'm thinking of OS9 days...).

I'll see if I can find the job in question and go through my notes when back
in the "office" later.
But just thought I'd "offer" that info anyway. (May not be useful in the
end, just wanted to mention it.)

Kind regards
Daniel

-Sent from my iPhone