Thanks for the tip Dan - was a generic disc. Actually from the outset ie first booting from the disc, it was demanding a mouse before proceeding. Have used this disc for a lot of reinstalls and it hasn't misbehaved yet but certainly a possibility. Might try and reinstall once more it can't hurt. The ibooks are second hand and don't have original CDs. Thanks again, DD