Well I've been using Parallels and Fusion on and off from the beginning
initially as my main work PC running Office 2003/2007, corporate apps, Adobe
design apps and for the testing of apps like SketchUp and SolidWorks. Each
version of each app gets better and in some cases overtakes the other one.
So earlier this year Parallels was slightly faster at most tasks than Fusion
see this review:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/index.html

That was with VMware Fusion 2.0.1. Fusion is now up to 2.0.5 so it's
probably slightly faster than Parallels.

In terms of features they are so similar. In the early versions Parallels
interface was a bit nicer - kinda Tonka Toyified. Fusion has certainly
caught up now though. Similarly VirtualBox is improving all the time, there
was an update just the other week.

Speaking of VirtualBox it is straightforward to use if nothing goes wrong.
If it does you may have to do a bit of searching on the net or playing
around to sort it out. I suppose this is where its downfall is. Parallels
and VMware's support is pretty good - I've had to contact both and both have
responded quickly. With VirtualBox being a free product you're on your own a
little bit - but hey did I say it's free, and really impressive for a
freebie. My colleagues set up VirtualBox on a complete novice to VMs iMac
and he's really happy with it.

Currently I'm running Parallels 4.0.3846 with Windows 7RC on Snow Leopard
10.6.1 and it's running really well. The only reason I'm using Parallels
over Fusion is that it came as part of a MacUpdate Promo. Otherwise I would
have gone for the Fusion offer this morning.

I wouldn't consider gaming with these VMs however using Bootcamp on a MacPro
is awesome...

Hope this is helpful in some way - sorry for the lack of specifics I'm not
in IT anymore.

Regards,

Chris.