Hi Severin, Michael

>From memory, the thing about Airport Express is that for non-network enabled
printers, printer/scanners etc only basic printing is supported.

Eg for my canon IP4000, if plugged in via USB I can launch the printer
utility and check ink levels, clean nozzles etc - however if set up as a
wireless printer (plugged into the Airport Express) I can print just fine
but can't perform these maintenance functions.

I seem to remember previous posts relating to printer scanners saying that
the scanning wasn't supported via the Airport Express unless the drivers
covered this via the network - so, for example, a network printer/scanner
with ethernet but no built-in wireless WOULD work wirelessly via an Airport
Express because it had the drivers for network scanning.

I'm going on memory here so you might want to check the archives to confirm.

I guess, it is becoming less relevant now since on consumer level machines
wireless now tends to be more common than ethernet.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton