Greetings Wendy,

I don't have any experience with Joysticks, but as Michael Waldie has
recommended Logitech.
I have heard good reports on Logitech's high-end Flight System G940 hands-on:
<http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/logitechs-high-end-flight-system-g940-hands-on/>

What I wanted to warn you about is Time Machine & X-Plane 9.

By default, OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard & Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard & is set to
automatically back up the entire hard drive using Time Machine. This includes a
user’s X-Plane directory. Most users would prefer not to have this backed up,
due to the fact that it demands a significant amount of space (for something
already backed up to DVDs) and generally also comes with a performance hit.

For this reason, it is recommended that users disable Time Machine while
installing X-Plane, then re-enable it after telling it to exclude the X-Plane
directory from its backup. This can be done using the following instructions:

1. Before installing X-Plane, choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
2. Click the Time Machine icon.
3. In the window that appears, turn Time Machine off.
4. Install X-Plane according to the previous instructions, noting where it was
installed to.
5. With X-Plane installed, open the Time Machine preferences as before and
click the Options button.
6. Click the + button to add a folder to the “Do not back up” list and select
the X-Plane installation directory.
7. Click the Done button and turn Time Machine back on.