Hi Wendy,

Just go into System Preferences > Time Machine.
Turn Time Machine "Off"
Then click on "Options" button, click the + button and add a folder to the "Do
Not Back Up" list ... navigate to the X-Plane installation directory, select
it, and click "Exclude"
Click "Done" and turn Time Machine back on.

An International Pilot just cannot completely retire from flying it seems ...
Captain Thomas can fly my plane anytime :-)