Hi Matt,

The system showing the grey screen with a no-entry sign, indicates the computer
cannot boot the system.
I hope it is not what I fear, the most probable cause is a dead hard drive.

If you can boot from the DVD that came with your iMac (as Roger has suggested)
or the install DVD of your operating system,
by restarting the computer while holding the C key.

When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from
the Installer menu.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the
names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Mac OS X volume.
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. (If it can, otherwise
you will receive a message that the Drive cannot be repaired).

Let us know what the message is your receive please.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)