Hi Ronni,

Thanks for the feedback.

on 13/12/09 4:41 PM, Ronda Brown at ro...@mac.com wrote:

> [...]
>> whopping 1TB HD, I would partition the HD in 3:
>> - Partition 1 with a nice fresh SL installation.
>> - Partition 2 with a clone of my current 24" iMac HD
>> - Partition 3 (I just want my EyeTV recordings and video on an extra
>> partition to suit my back-up regime)
>>
>> As I saw it, I could then pass the 24"iMac on to the mother-in-law (as
>> everything was now on partition 2 of the 27" iMac) and slowly set-up the SL
>> partition as I wanted it, whilst still being able to boot-up the 27" from
>> partition 2 (running 10.5.8) and essentially have all my apps and settings
>> just as they were on the 24" without any worry as to what was SL compliant.
>>
>> Now, many of the gurus out there will have already spotted the fatal flaw in
>> my strategy - it appears that I can't actually boot up the new iMac in
>> Leopard! - it seems to require SL!
>>
>> I have now passed on the bad news that I will need to hang onto the old
>> machine for a while longer until I am happy that everything I need is SL
>> compliant, or upgraded, or substituted - in general I do not foresee too
>> much of a problem - I am happy with the move to SL and happy to upgrade
>> programs such as Parallels & Reunion - my main bugbear will be MS Office
>> where I have not upgraded from Office 2004 to Office 2008 because MS killed
>> off VBA and I use quite a few macros.
>>
>> However, to get to the point (finally, I hear you say!) what I was wondering
>> was how will everything go if I boot up in SL (partition 1) and attempt to
>> run my old applications from their current location in the applications
>> folder on partition 2 (the cloned Leopard folder) - this would only be an
>> interim thing - as I confirmed that things ran OK under SL (with Rosetta if
>> necessary) I would then install the apps in their correct location (the apps
>> folder on partition 1).
>>
>> The idea would be that everything I wanted/needed would be gradually
>> transferred from partition 2 to partition 1 (in the case of data/documents)
>> or installed on partition 1 and then deleted from partition 2 (in the case
>> of applications) and any old/obsolete stuff just deleted from partition 2.
>>
>> I would obviously set up the new SL installation with the same accounts as
>> the old Leopard installation - to minimise any permissions problems with
>> accessing the old user folders on partition 2
>>
>> When everything is off partition 2 I would clean/erase it and use it as a
>> second media partition.
>>
>> However, I am aware that OSX can be a bit picky with where you put certain
>> things - so I was wondering if I was likely to run into any particular
>> problems in the interim as I gradually move stuff of the old partition to
>> the new one?
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> This is purely my own thoughts & preferences, others might disagree ;-)
> I guess it's what suits your needs.
>
> I feel you will run into problems with the Leopard Clone being a Partition on
What kind of problems do you envisage?

> I would prefer to have it on an External Firewire Drive, then you can boot
> Leopard from it.

Well, I actually have both since I have an external 1TB firewire drive which
is partitioned to match the internal drive and I clone each internal
partition to it's corresponding partition on the external drive.

However, one of the problems with my original strategy is that the new i7
iMac will not boot up into Leopard, only Snow Leopard :(
(I tried it from the Leopard partition on both the internal drive and the
External Drive - and I know the cloned system on the external drive is OK
because the old 24" iMac boots from it but the new i7 iMac doesn't).

Interestingly, if I option start the i7 both the leopard and snow leopard
systems show up as selectable but, if I select a leopard system, then
start-up just hangs at the white screen with the Apple logo (but the moving
clock icon doesn't show). Also:
- running disc utility under SL and the Leopard partitions have the "verify
permissions" and "repair permissions" options greyed out.
- if I try to start the i7 using a Leopard installation DVD (to try a fresh
leopard install) it again refuses to boot from the Leopard installation DVD.

I am assuming that the new processor/hardware has certain requirements that
are built-in to SL but not Leopard - since there were no i5 or i7 Macs
available when Leopard was the current OS.

> Personally I don't partition my internal drive. I find Leopard & Snow Leopard
> run faster and cleaner on non-partitioned drives.
> I would partition an external drive into 2 partitions, and have 1 partition
> for your cloned Leopard, and the other for your EyeTV Recordings.
Yes, I hear what you are saying here - that's what I did with my 24" iMac
which has a 320GB HD - its just that (without the EyeTV recordings) I never
even came close to filling a quarter of the 320GB disc (around 74GB at last
look) and I already have four external 1TB drives (some partitioned) serving
as clones and TM drives for the various machines - so, given that the new
iMac has a 1TB drive, I wanted to go this route rather than buy more
external drives (given each then requires another back-up drive) - as I
didn't want to have large numbers of drives without much on each.

> Another problem with partitioning is you'll never be satisfied with the sizes.
> After you make them you'll want more here and less there etc.
Yes, probably true - however:
- at present I have lots of spare space on each partition
- once I have fully migrated and rationalised my document filing the Leopard
partition will be erased and available for other uses
- disc utility will now allow resizing partitions on the fly (though I
wouldn't try it without at least 2 levels of back-up)
- given that I intend to have redundant back-ups, I guess I feel I can
always do a re-format and restore to a different partitions scheme (or even
a single partition scheme) in the future (probably at a system upgrade after
I have my new streamlined filing system)

> Cheers,
> Ronni

Thanks again for the feedback Ronni - I have learnt so much about back-up
strategies from your previous posts - I'm just glad I got to implement some
improvements to my strategy before disaster struck!

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton