Thanks, Ronni, I have found them.  You have explained a lot - as usual!
Happy New Year
Severin

On 01/01/2010, at 5:54 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 01/01/2010, at 5:07 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I am plagued with a huge list of unwanted fonts in Word/ Office2008. As far as I can see, they are in Applications/ Microsoft Office 2008/Office/Type Libraries but are inaccessible. Is there any way to edit them, or just switch the whole lot off. I am loath to just Trash the lot.
Severin Crisp

Hi Severin,

Without knowing if you are using Leopard or Snow Leopard, & if you upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008.
I'll include some information below as it might help you.

Office 2008, has a subfolder of Microsoft fonts in /Library/Fonts folder. And, if you had 2004 and upgraded to 2008, you’ll have both font collections, with a lot of duplicate fonts. In addition, each version provides duplicates of Leopard-supplied fonts. (Microsoft Office 2004, had a collection of Microsoft fonts in the main level of your User Fonts folder)

Office 2008 also does two other special things when it installs its fonts:
Font Book collection: It creates a special collection inside Font
Book that includes all its fonts.
Since Word 2008’s Font menu provides a special submenu for Font
Book collections, this makes it easier to get to the Microsoft fonts
when you have a long Font menu.

Upgrade issue: If you’ve upgraded from Office 2004, the 2008
installation moves some 2004 fonts from the User Fonts folder to
a Fonts Disabled folder. It seems to move the fonts that have been
updated since the 2004 release, yet ignore most of the duplicates
provide by both packages.

If you’ve upgraded to Office 2008, the first thing you should do is trash
all the 2004 fonts, which means you must identify them inside your
User Fonts folder, where they were installed when you ran Office 2004.

Office 2008 moves some redundant and/or outdated fonts to ~/Library/ Disabled Fonts
during installation. Drag that folder to the Trash.

If you still have this folder:
The fonts in /Applications/Microsoft Office2004/Office/Fonts—the source for the ones installed into your User Fonts folder—are no longer needed, so you can free up some 85 MB of space by trashing it.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:sevcr...@westnet.com.au