Good morning Ronni

Just after I had sent you the email below my Mac died, I just had a spinning
wheel (it had asked me to do a software download).  Not the coloured ball.

This continued all night and I have only just done the old fashioned "turn it
off at the back - and then on again after a few minutes".

So of course I did not get any emails etc. until just now.

I will now try your steps.  **By memory yes, I did see a "Read & Write"
permission.  (Not that my memory is always reliable).  Yes, there was a bit of
panic on my part.

Hoping to let you know shortly that this has worked!

Peta

On 01/01/2010, at 9:17 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> Peta,
> When you unlocked the padlock ... Do you have "Read& Write" permissions?
>
> If you do & iPhoto is on your Mac, not an external drive.
>
> Try rebuild the library: hold down the apple and option (or alt) keys while
> launching iPhoto.
> Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.
> Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.
>
> Ronni
>
> On 01/01/2010, at 9:10 PM, peta belczowski wrote:
>
>> Thank you Ronni for your prompt reply.
>>
>> I followed your steps carefully and unlocked the padlock.  Unfortunately
>> iPhoto still does not open, and I receive the same message
>>
>> "Caution -  the iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk or you do not
>> have permission to make changes to it".
>>
>> No-one except me goes into these files.  I transferred all information etc
>> painlessly from my earlier Mac 10.6.2 about a month ago, and have had no
>> problems since.  I have edited photos, made slideshow etc. in the usual way.
>>
>> My version of iPhotos shows as V.8.1.1.  I always carry out updates when
>> prompted.
>>
>> Thanking you for your efforts.
>>
>> Peta

>>> Hi Peta,
>>>
>>> What version of iPhoto are you using?
>>> Do you have iPhoto on an external disk or on your Mac?
>>>
>>> Try this anyway:
>>> 1.Click in the Finder icon (square blue smiley face) to bring up a Finder
>>> window.
>>> 2.It should open to your Home (if not, click on your user name on the left
>>> column).
>>> 3.Double click on your Pictures folder.
>>> 4.Select IPhoto Library by clicking on it once.