Hi Julie,

On 03/01/2010, Julie Bedford <jew...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> It may not occur for an hour, but then the mouse takes off on its own
> accord and it can take me a minute or two to gain control of it again
> and that is with the use of two mice.  It's ridiculous.  It's like the mouse
> is possessed !!

I agree with you that it is ridiculous! If you mean you are using two
mice at the same time, as well as Mouse Keys, without success, then
there are two likely situations.

Firstly, it's possibly a software problem (e.g., an unknown virus) and
would be solved by an "Archive and Install" of your Mac OS X.
Secondly, it's possible that your computer is receiving erroneous
hardware signals, either from an intended device or a unintentional
device. For instance, if your computer is somehow shared over
Bluetooth, WiFi or Internet, there is the possibility of remote
interference. This can be checked by going into the relevant
preferences and isolating your computer from the outside world.

Out of curiosity, when the problem occurs, can you see the mouse at
the bottom of the screen, and does it slide side-to-side horizontally
but never go up-or-down? Or does it bounce around a bit along the
bottom of the screen? Or is it not visible at all? (If it's not
visible at all: open your Displays system preferences and check that
your computer does not think it has two screens. If it does, the mouse
can get stuck on the other screen...sometimes happens to me when I use
an external projector.)

James