From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On Behalf
Of Diana & Graham Stevens
Sent: Monday, 4 January 2010 1:44 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: G5 iMac Lack of Connectivity

Hi Ronda

Yes I did, and I tried Safe Boot which was very slow to start up and
showed no improvement in connectivity. I was not sure how relevant
the messages were as Lloyd was referring to Snow Leopard and Graham
uses Leopard.

We bought the iMac on 23/11/04 and it is described as M9249X/A, I
have no idea what that means.

The lack of RAM means that it is slow to start up but once there the
applications seem to run normally. Originally the iMac was running
Panther but he was forced to upgrade because there were no Browsers
which worked with the Banks etc. When Leopard was first installed all
was well and he was very happy with Firefox but recently it has
stopped working.

I have worked out that the bits of the iinet Home Page that don't
load are the ones which are not local like the news and weather, I
don't know whether this is significant.

He probably needs a new computer but cash is a bit of a problem for
us self-funded retirees, and the ducted air-conditioning (which is 12
years old) has just failed and now we are waiting in trepidation for
the repair man to come!

On New Year's day Graham was unwell and I said blithely "it will be
all up from here in 2010", I should remember to walk humbly before
the gods!

A belated Happy New Year to the list and I must remember to pay my sub!

Diana

>Hi Diana,
>
>Have you read yesterdays posts Subject: SLOW Leopard?
>Especially James Devenish last reply.
>
>The lack of RAM would be attributing to the slowness.
>Plus, older drives are significantly slower than current drives.
>But, it certainly sounds "sick" ...
>
>How old is this iMac, 2003 / 2004 model?
>
>Cheers,
>Ronni

17:41:00