Hi Severin,

For what its worth, for me the search results were:

*********************************
Google Australia (google.com.au)
*********************************

Search term: newarts (no quotes)

-Search the web: www.newarts.org.au was # 3 (of about 3,170,000 for newarts)
Note that #1 was also a newarts (no space) in Wisconsin and #2 had newarts
in the domain name.
- Search pages from Australia: www.newarts.org.au was # 1 (of about 48,100
for newarts)

Search term: "newarts" (in quotes)

-Search the web: www.newarts.org.au was # 3 (of about 30,600 for "newarts")
note #1 & #2 were also for newarts (no space) in Wisconsin
- Search pages from Australia:
www.newarts.org.au was # 1 (of about 419 for "newarts")
www.newarts.org.au/newartshome.html was # 2 (of about 419 for "newarts")

************************
Main Google (google.com)
************************

Search term: newarts (no quotes)

www.newarts.org was # 11 (of about 3,170,000 for newarts)

www.newarts.org.au was not showing up in the first 100 results

(#1 & #2 were the same as the Google Australia results)

Search term: "newarts" (in quotes)

www.newarts.org was # 4 (of about 30,600 for "newarts")

www.newarts.org.au/newartshome.html was # 15 (of about 30,600 for "newarts")

www.newarts.org.au/P09Summary.pdf was # 25 (of about 30,600 for "newarts")

So it seems:

- Google Australia has you higher up the ratings than google.com
- Including "newarts' in quotes narrows the search significantly and so
moves you up the ratings.
- Search pages from Australia also narrows the search significantly and so
moves you up the ratings.

My own observations on our potoroo.org website was that it took several
weeks before a google search for "potoroo" returned our website as a result
but that we then moved up the ratings over time - as others have said,
getting other websites to link to you obviously helps (particularly if those
links are from other popular sites and the links get used)

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

PS <www.newarts.org> had a very basic one page site with just links to 2
youtube videos of art performances - so, presumably, the videos were
popular! I particularly liked "Grand Central Freeze":
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMj3PJDxuo>