Jewels

Did you buy it from Telstra(or some other retailer) or from the Apple Store? If from the latter that is definitely the unlocked price so there should *not* be an unlocking charge. If you bought it from anywhere else(vodafone/telstra/optus/other retail phone store) then there could well be an unlocking charge as the stock would have been from the carrier rather than from Apple.

I know that $1040 from an Apple store is definitely the unlocked as I just purchased one for my mother for use on her optus SIM, which she recently switched to Telstra without incident. It was marked, separate stock from the other iphones and you could only purchase one via credit card so Apple could ensure and audit trail to make sure people aren't reselling them.

There have however been some reports on Whirlpool that some people were accidentally getting locked phones because Apple staff were accidentally giving out the wrong stock.

Dave