On 30/01/2010, at 6:09 PM, Andrew wrote:
HI Folks
While sharing a couple of files between my 2 iMacs across the home network for printing purposes, I ejected what I thought was Mac no2 while on Mac no1. When I then tried to check email on Mac no1 it behaved as though no account was set up. I restarted Mac no1 and it is now a blank canvas - background pic is default, iTunes, iPhoto etc all like I'm using them for the first time. Mac no 2 (10.5.8) is fine and I am using it to type this. I really need to recover the other one. Unfortunately it is OS 10.4.11 so no Time Machine. The only other thing I did prior to ejecting/unmounting as described was rename the home folder.
Any ideas?

Yeap, renaming your Home Folder will be the cause of the problem.

MAKE A BACKUP NOW (even manually copying to another HD will be a start) just to be safe Then delete the newly created home folder (which was automatically re- created when Mac OS X couldn't find it (because you renamed it)
Empty the trash
Rename your old Home folder back to the correct name
Reboot and hopefully all will be fine

--
Nicholas Pyers  (nicho...@nicholaspyers.com)

          "Heaven on Earth?"