On 30/01/2010, at 6:52 PM, Andrew wrote:
Thanks, Nicholas
That was very scary. I found this
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1876?viewlocale=en_US
and followed the instructions. All is fine now, thank goodness.

Great to hear you fixed it

I thought I had lost about 4 years worth of photos and all my music, emails etc.

NOW!!! this very second, not tomorrow!!!! is the time to look at, and implement, a backup strategy for your 10.4.11 system. As you say Time Machine isn't present, but there are plenty of third party solutions... like SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.

They aren't as automated as Time Machine, but something is better than nothing... and I speak from experience... I have a huge five year gap in a lot of my data... a friend blew up one of my hard drives by accidentally plugging the wrong wallwart into it... now fortunately I backed up the data to a DVD a few years before when migrating drives... but no consistent backup had been done in between.

Now ALL my important drives are backed up by Time Machine.

--
Nicholas Pyers  (nicho...@nicholaspyers.com)

          "Heaven on Earth?"
          "No, Earth on Earth.  The Just Earth!"