Hi Mike,

If the printer is connected via ethernet to your router, and your Mac is also
connected to the same network, then you should be able to print from your
Computer to the HP 8550N LaserJet printer without using AppleTalk - e.g., you
set up IP printing using the HPJetdirect protocol.
All you will need is the IP address for the printer. Making sure that the IP
Address is not already being used anything else on your Network.
If it has the same IP as another ... it won't work!

What is the IP Address you have now found for the Printer?

What you could try ... (says she not knowing much about HP Printers, other than
to "Stay Clear of them";-)

1. Go into Safari, and make sure the Develop menu is enabled. (Go to
Preferences/Advanced if it isn't.)
Then type the IP address you have for the Printer into the address bar. This
should bring up HP's web administration page for the printer.
If it doesn't Change the User Agent on the Develop menu to Safari 4.0.4
WINDOWS.

2. Click the Administration button on the left. After the page reloads, choose
Configuration from the row of tabs at the top.

3.  Under TCP/IP Configuration Type, choose Manual. Then type in a new static
IP address for the printer. (NOTE: If you aren't already familiar with using
static IP addresses, this is a potentially tricky bit that can cause big
problems if you pick the same address as another machine on your network.)

4. Scroll down to the bottom and click Apply.

5.  Enter the new IP address for the printer in Safari's address bar, to see if
the printer's accepted the new IP address; if the HP administration page loads
again, you should be OK.

6. Go to Print & Fax in System Preferences, and click the + button to add a new
printer.

7. Click the IP tab, and type in the IP address for the Printer. The Print
Using menu should change to HP LaserJet 8550N Series.

8.. Type a name for the printer (like LaserJet 8550N IP) and click Add.

See if you can print now.