(Re-sent with new subject as per Ronni's post)

Hi Alan,

Just an off-the-wall thought - you aren't running Windows under parallels or
fusion are you?

If you are - is the USB drive being "captured" by Windows and so unavailable
to OSX (though, if so, I wouldn't have thought Time Machine could see it
either - unless it can "override" the Windows allocation).

In Parallels, under USB preferences, you can choose from 3 options - so that
connecting an USB device:

1)  Connects it to the Mac
2)  Connects it to the active VM
3)  Asks which to connect to.

So selecting option 2) would result in the device being "captured" by a
running VM if it was connected whilst the VM was running.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Neil
--