Hi Ronnie, I have read your note and now see what you're saying. I can't
fathom why I would have an external drive attached to the TC if all I
was able to use it for was for backing up of backup files on the TC. I
have the external drive formatted as FAT32 (albeit with the 4GB file
size limitation) deliberately for the purpose of having Windows
compatibility of my other (shhh) Windows laptop attached to the network.
I share files between the two computers in this way. That sharing part
works very reliably.

I have got a printer configuration just like yours not coincidentally
(an Epson wireless ready printer) set up wirelessly between TC and
printer (no cables between the two) and this too works really well.

File sharing for the external drive is set to "Enabled" and the Summary
tab under Airport Utility quotes version 7.5 as was installed from the
disc supplied with the TC new in December 2009.

I am set to 802.11n 5GHz only as well.

I just did a trial experiment too by initially forcing the external
drive awake from the Finder and opening a random file on the external
drive to prove it had a pulse PRIOR to attempting to do an Attach to a
new email within Mail. When it was 'wide awake', the Attach command
worked fine for Mail.

I would sooner have the issue of making sure it was awake prior to
attaching than to loose the Windows compatibility and file sharing
ability so I suppose I will have to leave it this way.

Another thought, if I had a powered Hub attached to the USB of the TC
with two external drives in the hub, and one of the drives was FAT32 and
the other was MacOS Extended with some synching process between the two
externals, would that facilitate my obscure requirements?

I look forward to any further to any other tips you may have to my
situation.

Regards

Peter...

Kind Regards,