Hi Peter,

I said  "the Primary Purpose of the USB port on the Time Capsule is to allow
users to connect an External Backup drive to the Time Capsule in order to
Archive its contents, using the Airport Utility App." You can use it for other
purposes, but be aware of its limitations   with it being connected by USB to
Time Capsule.

I strongly recommend, if your Data is important to you, and you are serious
about backing up and protecting your Data on your computers, that you don't
rely solely on Time Machine backups.

I wrote an article in September 2009 titled "MY BACKUP STRATEGY". In it I
explain that a good Backup Strategy consists of three parts, and what my Backup
Strategy is. If you think it would be helpful to you, email me off-list and I
will give you my website Username & password, so you can download it.

>> File sharing for the external drive is set to “Enabled” and the Summary tab
>> under Airport Utility quotes version 7.5 as was installed from the disc
>> supplied with the TC new in December 2009.

The Version 7.5 refers to your Time Capsule, not Airport Utility.app. Open
Airport Utility, under Airport Utility in the Menu bar > 'About Airport
Utility' will give you the version, it should be v5.5 (550.29).

"The Time Machine Schedule Problem:
Time Machine saves hourly backups for 24 hours, daily backups for a month, and
weekly backups until your disk is full.
On the surface, that seems reasonable, but if you look at the details, there’s
a catch.

Time Machine makes a new backup every hour that your computer is on and awake.
With each run, Time Machine also deletes the hourly backup from 25 hours ago,
unless it was the first backup of that particular day. Thus you always have
hourly backups for the last 24 hours, as well as a single hourly backup (i.e.,
from just the last hour of the day) for each of the past 30 days. After a
month, Time Machine deletes the oldest of the daily backups, but it preserves
the first daily backup from each week as long as there’s disk space available.

Now picture this: at 8:30 PM on Monday you create an important file. When Time
Machine runs next (at, say, 9:00 PM) it backs up that file—so far so good. Now,
at 9:30 PM, you delete the file, either intentionally or otherwise. No problem:
it’s still in your backup. Of course, none of the hourly backups for the next
24 hours includes your file, because it had already been deleted, so the only
copy Time Machine has is in that first hourly backup. At 10:00 PM on Tuesday,
Time Machine erases that backup from 25 hours ago—the only one, from 9:00 on
Monday, that contained your important file. Because that file wasn’t in the
last hourly backup of that day, it won’t be there tomorrow if you suddenly
realise you need it, even though Time Machine backed it up yesterday!

So there are ways that files can fall through the cracks. Time Machine backs
them up, sure, but then, because of the way it deletes old backups, it may
remove your essential file from the backup before you need it. (And that’s
true, by the way, when deleting old daily and weekly backups too.) Plus, if a
file exists for less than an hour, and therefore isn’t around for a single
backup, Time Machine won’t help at all.

The lesson? First, supplementing your Time Machine backups is a good idea. And
second, get in the habit of hanging on to files for at least 24 hours before
you delete them!"