I am aware of this one but do not have any real use for it
Pop

On 15/03/2010, at 3:23 PM, Crisp, Peter wrote:

I have noted an on line tool for creating shortened URL's for the
lengthy ones we often see (a la the example below). I know it works from
my Windows machine and presume no issues from Mac.

Have a go, it's dead easy and it's helped me on many occasions.

http://tinyurl.com/

Regards

Peter.
-----Original Message-----
From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Neil Houghton
Sent: Friday, 12 March 2010 2:50 PM
To: WAMUG
Subject: Re: Six tips for using the Dock efficiently

He he...

Isn't it amazing at this stage of development that email clients still
mangle URLs?!

No, Paul, there wasn't a space in the original URL - well not as copied
and
pasted directly from the browser address bar to the email message (and
even
inserted into <> brackets to try & hold it all together!)

However, I have no doubt that when you opened the message you DID find a
space capriciously inserted into the URL - it often happens!

Interestingly:

- When I received my original post back from WAMUG the link was fine,
but
-   In the WAMUG archive, the link is broken
-   When you got my original post from WAMUG, you obviously found the
link
broken
-   When you replied to my post, your reply came back with my link (in
my
quoted message) back to being a working link (both as I received it AND
in
the WAMUG archive)

I would lay bets that amongst list members many received the original
post
with the link working whilst many others found it broken!

At least with the visual indication of the link in the email it is
pretty
obvious if clicking on the link is going to work or not (ie is the whole
URL
showing as the link or only part of it)

One feature I like with modern versions of Safari & Firefox is that if
you
copy and paste (all of) an obviously broken link from the email they
seem to
detect the offending space and connect you anyway!

All part of the joys of computers!

Cheers

Neil
--