Hi Barb,

If you haven't got anything on this iMac yet that you need to keep, why don't
you do and "Erase & Clean Install" of Panther.
You need to locate the Mac  OS X CD.
Insert the OS X CD, restart the iMac while holding down the C key, which starts
up the Mac from the CD and launches the Mac OS X Installer.

How to Erase My Hard Drive in Panther:

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.3 Install CD into the Mac and restart the computer.

2. Hold down the "C" button as the computer chimes and wait for the Mac to
start up from the CD before releasing the button.

3. Click "Installer" and open "Disk Utility."

4. Select your hard drive from the list of drives on the left-hand side of the
screen and click on the "Erase" tab.

5. Select the volume format you want to use from the "Volume Format" pop-up
menu.

6. Click on "Options" and choose "Zero All Data," "7-Pass Erase" or "35-Pass
Erase."
Note: "Zero All Data" doesn't take as long as the other options and will be ok
for you to use.

7. Click "OK" and "Erase."

After the iMac restarts and you setup your Account and Password etc.

Go here & Download the Combo OS X 10.3.9 Update & install it.
<http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_Combined_Update_10_3_9>

DON'T forget to "Repair Permissions" after installing the Combo Update.
=====
As long as PLC did not turn on Filevault (which required a "Master Password")
and
If you only wish to create a new Administrator's Password in Panther:

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.3 Install CD into the Mac and restart the computer.

2. Hold down the "C" button as the computer chimes and wait for the Mac to
start up from the CD before releasing the button.

3. On the first Installer Screen, Choose "Installer > Reset Password.

4. When the "Reset Password" screen appears, click the HD that contains Mac OS
X.

5.  From the first pop-up Menu, choose the Name of your Account.

6. Now make a new password and type it in both boxed.

7. Click Save.

8. Close the Window, click the Installer, and Restart.

AND Remember your Password ;-)