Hi Barb

Lots of good suggestions already - just a couple more points/items to check:

First-off, the instructions below are as on my Snow Leopard - since you are
running an older system, things may not be exactly the same - but the same
principles apply.

In the "Keychain Access" application, under the main "Keychain Access" menu,
you will find the "preferences' item - open the preferences and:

-   Under the "First Aid" tab, which boxes are ticked (for me, all four
boxes are ticked)

-   Under the "General" tab, there is a "Reset My Default Keychain" button
which "Reverts to factory defaults and creates a new empty "login" keychain.
Your current default keychain will be moved aside, but not deleted."
In essence, this is similar to Peter's suggestion to delete the keychain and
let OSX create a new one but since the old one is not actually deleted, you
may be able to later retrieve information from it if you want/need.

Before trying that, however, you may just want to see if there is a
repairable keychain problem:

In the "Keychain Access" application, under the main "Keychain Access" menu,
there is a command "Keychain First Aid" which gives you the option to verify
and/or repair the keychain(s). The "Keychain First Aid" window which opens
up asks for User Name and Password but should open up with the user name you
are logged-in with filled in and you should not need to enter the password,
since you are already logged-in (well, that's what I find - assuming your
preferences are set like mine).

Set to "verify", press "start" and see what it reports - if all is well the
dialogue should conclude "No problems found Verification completed" if a
problem is found try "Repair"

If anything is found, let us know the result.

I'm not really clear from your posts whether you have just the one user
account that is the admin account (which you are having the problems with)
or if there is an admin account that you don't have the password to and your
user account that doesn't have admin privileges.

> They gave me a new username/password (both the same) when I got it, but
> that one doesn't work either!!!

Is this the only account on the computer and, if not, does it have admin
privileges:

Open system preferences, go to the "Accounts" pane and see what accounts are
listed - eg for me, at the top it shows under "My Account" the account "Neil
Houghton" (that I am currently logged in under) with "Admin" listed below,
then under "Other Accounts" it lists some other user accounts and "Guest
Account"

What is your set-up - in particular, is there another admin account rather
than your log-in account?

So, to summarise:

-   Do you just have the single user admin account.

-   What are your keychain preference settings (in particular, is your
log-in keychain the default and is it set to be kept unlocked while you are
logged-in)

-   Have you tried verifying and, if necessary, repairing your keychain.

-   You can always hit the "Reset My Default Keychain" button and start from
scratch.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Neil