Thank you for weighing in, Peter.

Here's a funny thing - although the option-launch thing worked a couple of times early in this saga, it has now stopped doing so. Instead, if I option-launch iTunes all that happens is that the frontmost programme is hidden and iT launches normally. Huh?

You're right about preferences not doing it - I had been trashing library files that I knew were the wrong ones, hoping to find the right one by elimination, but now iT is fixated on one in a 'previous itunes library' (that's what appears in the top of the iT window) folder and nothing I do in preferences will change its mind, notwithstanding re-launches/restarts

I think I could find the right library file in an older backup of the HD and put it back in the current music folder. But without option- launch I can't tell iT where to look. Any ideas?

many thanks