I've been on Bigpond Wireless for about two and a half years using a Maxon
BP3-EXT modem. I'm connected 12-16 hrs daily. Unexpected disconnects seem to be
increasing during recent months. Currently I get about 5 or 6 a day. When the
connection fails I switch off the modem for 10-20 seconds, then reconnect. On
rare occasions it may take several minutes to reconnect.

Like you I have wondered about a fault in the modem, but I usually discount
this on the basis that a modem either works or it doesn't. I feel a more likely
cause to be vagaries with the ISP. These are gut feelings, as I have no hard
evidence.

I would certainly like to hear more comment on the matter of unexpected
wireless disconnects.

Vlad James
24" iMac 2.4 GHz Intel
2GB / 667MHz / 320GB