Thank you WAMUGERS for the suggestions.  I've looked at all of them and found
plenty of useful information. I'm actually thinking a waterproof Pentax Optio
W90 which is yet to hit the Perth streets.  It also has HD video and time-lapse
video. Oh, and the LED ring-flash around the lens for ultra close-up work looks
great, going by some user pics at dpreview.com.     I'd also like to have some
sort of Canon or Pentax SLR with a VR lens which won't break the bank. I've
been consistently pleased with Pentax cameras going back to the 1960s. I
currently use a pretty old Pentax Optio 555 compact and a Nikon D80 SLR. Gotta
go and buy a Lotto ticket and then I can indulge myself with lots of new
cameras like Ken Rockwell does. LOL.

Kind wishes, Paul.

Dr Paul R. Weaver
http://fremantlebiz.livejournal.com/calendar