Hi Eugene,

On 14/05/2010, at 12:54 PM, Eugene wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had no end of problem with my old MBP 15" with sleep. It would often not
> awake from sleep and at times when I put it to sleep it would stay on. This
> was particularly bad when I placed it in its sleeve without knowing that it
> was on. I'd get home and the MBP would be hot enough to cook an egg on it. I
> went to every internet help site to no avail I had the problem and it would
> not be cured.

 It's really important to wait until it goes into 'Safe Sleep' … see that the
sleep light is actually pulsing before putting the Mac in a bag.
If you see a steady light, the Mac isn't truly asleep, and if placed in a bag,
would do its best to cool off with the fans, which would not be possible.

At some point it would try to shut down to prevent any damage, and that may be
what was happening with yours.

> I thought my problem would be gone when I got my new MBP 17". It inherited
> the problem no doubt when I used migration assistant. I think somewhere a
> preference file regarding sleep or energy saver was corrupt. There was a
> solution that required using Unix commands in terminal but I shied away from
> attempting this.

System Preferences > Energy Saver  - Restore Defaults would probably have fixed
this issue.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard