Is it possible that the clear plastic cover may be faulty? i.e. the three feet that when inserted stop the fans? just wondering.

Anyway, still no joy, the fans are still raging away if I try and startup. Things seem to happen in groups, now my BigPond NetGear cable modem is flashing and not working, so I am using my iPhone in Tether mode to send these emails! They said a technician can be here by June 7th!
oh well, ho hum.

I tried Philip's idea of resetting the SMU button but mine does not have one, so it must be an earlier 1.8MHz machine. My model number is A1093.

Thanks again
Jon